UTBK Journey: Understanding The Meaning of Patience
Hello, this time I want to share a little more freely. It's not as stiff as my previous post. It's a kind of reflection and flashback to one of my most memorable experiences: the UTBK journey. I hope this story of twists and turns can inspire you.
The beginning of finding one's identity.
Let's start. Why is high school the most memorable? For me personally, it started in my third year of high school. Especially since kids here (in the capital) are supposedly competitive. I don't know. The pressure to pursue higher education in a program and university that aligns with their interests is very real. Regardless of interests, perhaps some of us also feel pressured when casually asked by parents or school teachers, "Do you want to go to college?" By the way, when I first entered my first year of high school, an intern teacher asked me, "Where do you want to go to college, what faculty, what major?" When she asked each student one by one, some answered FISIP, FH, FE, and when it came to my section—I was innocently clueless about what to answer because, honestly, I hadn't made a decision yet. The teacher was so nosy, so I answered UGM, Faculty of Sports, Sports Major. WAIT WHAT? HAHAH—the funny thing is that I only recently realized that UGM doesn't have any faculties or majors like that. It's understandable, considering it's still early in high school. But I'm sure other friends might also be giving random answers, HAHA. The important thing is to be confident in your answers.
A love story in one book.
There are two subject areas tested: Science (Science) and Social Sciences (Social Sciences). Speaking of books, there's one UTBK book that I hold dear. It's the book people use for their credits (SKS) or overnight cramming. It's because of the title, haha. For Science (Science) students, the color is blue, and for Social Sciences, the color is yellow.
| Einstein and Mr. Harto |
For some reason, this SKS book really made an impression on me. Of the many books I've read, the ending always comes back to this. I used to really like discussing every subject in this SKS book. From history, economics, geography, sociology. The small details in the book are like infographics, read it in one sitting, make sure you understand the concept. I did this not only at the end of high school, but also in my free time at college, in the campus library.
Wait, how come you're on campus? Spare time to study? What's the story?
Disclaimer. So the story is that I joined UTBK again in my second year of college. The term is to try again the following year before semester 3. I believe this is nothing to lose, because I have already got one place and want to try another place.
I have principles of effective learning. It's like minimum effort, maximum results. Main capital? This yellow Soshum SKS book, which I took everywhere until it broke. Plus other sources from Zenius, Google, Quora, IG, and from other UTBK fighters. Plus, because I was also studying tutoring at that time, I added another NF Module — in thick PPLS form, with a summary outline. In this module, I rarely work on problem sets except for online tryouts. Because at that time I realized that the 2019 UTBK questions had a different trend from the predictions and exams of previous years. And as a curious person, I really wanted to know, so I went all out and explained what wasn't in the book, aka I added it using my own language.
I did all this because I felt disappointed by my old choices. Flashback again, looking at the IRT analysis and weighting, plus the total score in the first year of the exam, I actually made it to a fairly competitive choice. Why didn't you think about taking it? Don't know. I believe this is Allah's scenario. So I did it first, and tried again the following year. On the positive side, I'm no longer a debutant.
I also like to make my own summaries and codes to memorize concepts. People might buy a thick book like King Eduka and for them it's worth it, while I use existing sources. The key here is not the amount of material, but how well we understand and how effectively we learn.
Every single one of my friends in class has crazy ambitions, PTN ambitions. I asked ABCDE if you could answer. I'm the one who has a hard time catching up HAHA, especially math. Even though we have different tutoring classes, we often brainstorm. FYI, they have a lot of lessons at places that in fact aim to go to PTN. Honestly, I feel like I'm out of control. Not because of the tutoring place I took — but more because of my level of confidence.
The upswing... mental and effort.
My friends generally come home from school to recharge by playing in the field, refreshing themselves, after a busy schedule of classes, including the National Exam (SBM) and the National Exam (UN). The term "refreshing" isn't used anymore, but "healing." The difference is, I prefer to be at the school mosque, waiting for Asr prayers. After that, I read the SBM material review, not caring at all about the National Exam (UN). HAHA. Thankfully, my math UN score wasn't that bad. However, I felt really bad in this subject, and the teacher was killer. The conclusion here is that I'm not a genius, especially in math. My friends take premium tutoring classes, while I mostly self-study. But I believe that effort and prayer are powerful.
After reviewing the material, I walk to the tutoring center near the school. I carry a backpack and a portable folder, like a document collector, filled with master files on the SBMPTN material and school subjects. This folder is invaluable to me. If I forget to bring it, my heart breaks. Arrived at the tutoring place > left my bag > went out to get something to eat > then came in to start tutoring at 4 in the afternoon.
Starting from tutoring, to be honest, I wasn't interested in class but I often asked questions about things I didn't know. I prefer to go straight to the actual discussion if I'm given a question, rather than doing it. The duration of the lesson is until 8 pm. After tutoring, friends might leave class and withdraw. I often take photos of the material on the blackboard, because I don't have time to take photos while studying.
Next, I translated/pasted it into the module/SKS book. In other words, I pour the meat from the blackboard. Continue praying evening prayers in the prayer room because if you stay at home you're afraid you'll fall asleep. Make an effort, don't forget to pray. After the prayer, just leave. Because I don't have a motorbike, sometimes I take a gojek, sometimes I walk home (about 2 km), sometimes I get picked up (at most). HAHA.
The downfall... physically and mentally.
Well, during my second semester of high school, something haunted me. In early February, I contracted typhus (typhus). Typhoid fever is the term. It was a very dark moment, filled with fear over the entire process I'd gone through. The illness was predicted to last over a month. It definitely made me feel down. I couldn't even stand, let alone run. Typhoid is mostly caused by the bacteria Salmonella thypi—directly related to Salmonellosis, which causes infections in the digestive system. My parents said it was due to unhealthy eating—which may be true. But honestly, I rarely went to the school cafeteria. Thinking back, maybe the main cause was pushing myself to study. It makes sense, since my first semester of high school, my mind was still preoccupied with everything from the National Exam, Tryouts, Tutoring, and SBM.
Ultimately, I was treated at home under strict protocols, which meant I was acting like a hospital patient.
According to a doctor who was an acquaintance of my mom's friend, I wasn't allowed to stand. I ate and prayed in bed. FYI: Typhus is like an intestinal disease — so it affects the body temperature, which ultimately responds with heat, so I experienced symptoms of shivering while covered with a thick blanket, a jacket underneath a long-sleeved shirt. At that time, I missed my friends, because they were ambitious in studying. I missed so much, to the point where I almost forgot the material that had entered my brain. Anything related to state universities felt like a trigger.
Recovery and restart.
Alhamdulillah, Allah is good. My condition improved and I was able to recover quickly from my previous target. I've started going back to school. But you still have to move slowly, because it's still a recovery process where the intestines are still sore. Even during prayer, it's a bit difficult to move my body, to the point where I can't sit upright, real man! When I think about it, I've been on a bed for a long time, where most of my legs are tied and straightened. HA HA. Thankfully, I can still make dhuha even though it hurts, I just don't get the feeling because there are fewer rakats. The funny thing is that this pain recurs again, it hurts again. That's how it continues to circulate for approximately 2 months. But it didn't last long, before the National Examination I was already quite fit but I didn't push to do it (while studying and taking tests). There must be material missing. It's okay, because my commitment from the start was only to SBMPTN, The Real Battle.
The exam flag-off.
When it was time for UTBK-SBMPTN, I didn't forget to kiss my parents before the exam. For me, they're the first people we should ask for prayers. From thanking them for being there for us from the start, taking care of us when we were sick. So we feel safe and prayed for. Back again, my body was fit, my mind was fresh, it was time to start. I took the 2019 UTBK exam at UI (University of Indonesia) placed in Vocational School. Coincidentally, I wasn't alone, but with my younger sibling on the same day. My dad drove us, so we could review the material in the car and get some extra advice.
After the exam, I made time for the Asr prayer at the Ukhuwah Islamiyah UI mosque. Honestly, it was close to Maghrib. I don't know why, maybe it was because of the exam schedule. FYI, so even though some people had already finished their exams, we still had to leave together. After praying, I left everything to Allah. Then I reviewed with my younger sibling.
As for the exam questions, I felt completely different from what I expected. Not too difficult, not too easy either. What's certain is that the TKA, starting with Mathematics and Social Sciences, was definitely out of this world, hehe. Meanwhile, in history, my heart whispered that I'd gotten a few numbers wrong, HAHA. Economics? Safe. Geography? So crazy. Sociology? A bit mind-blowing, huh, Mom? I was pretty confident in the TPS section. FYI, the TPS includes general reasoning ability, quantitative knowledge, general knowledge and understanding, and reading and writing comprehension. Essentially, I answered all the questions using logic and a stock of SBM material.
Since the announcement hadn't been released, I felt like a different version of myself. And because I was worried that something unexpected would happen, I had good intentions for others. Plus, I prayed, gave alms, did Tahajjud, and finished the Quran because it was Ramadan.
Peak results.
Beep beep! Until the day of the announcement (only the UTBK 1 of 2). I'm nervous, other people are nervous, my family is nervous. Mixed feelings. At that time, it could actually be accessed from noon via LTMPT. I saw some other people who were crazy. Meanwhile, I might still be watching the sky. My new score announcement was made after Tarawih. That day, compared to previous days, I took the initiative to do more routine dhikr and the X factor. I've also been reprimanded by people at home for stalling. My response to them was, "Yes, ma'am, I'll do it soon, but I'm just going to stay late, I want to pray a lot first", then they answered, "Just give it up." When I was confident and had calmed down a bit, I finally clicked the 'sensitive' button on the LTMPT website. I access it from a netbook (a small laptop like that) together with my siblings in their room.
So... how did it go?
| UTBK Result Certificate I (2019) |
Alhamdulillah. Masha Allah Tabarak Allah. I cried a lot because DID NOT EXPECT THIS SCORE. I immediately bowed down in victory celebration style. When I looked at the scores of other subjects, I didn't expect either. Some are really good, some are really funny, mainly plot twists. Know what?
Yes, the math score!
Hahaha. Honestly, even though the total score expectations are not grandiose, they are still realistic.
Don't laugh too much at that 'sea trench 265', OK — IYKWIM HAHA. Exactly what I said, my reaction was crying because I didn't expect to get 6 heads in total. Initially I was more confident that I thought I would get 4 heads, considering that the TO results were also stuck at the same level, there was no significant increase. And for example, if my math score was announced as a 5, it would be like everything had become even, and I'd be a bit closer to my ambitious friend from the NF tutoring program, who's currently studying Public Policy Management at Gadjah Mada University (UGM) under the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences (FISIPOL). It was truly one of the greatest experiences!
Alhamdulillah, my second exam scores were equally good, although not significantly higher than my first. Finally, I used my first score to try to apply to my target state university, adjusting my score to 615. Gratefully, I enrolled at Airlangga University (UNAIR), majoring in Information and Library Science under the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences (FISIP) as my first choice and Islamic Economics under the Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) as my second choice. Both were at Airlangga University. I was accepted into my first choice, and the announcement of my acceptance was certainly even more exciting than the announcement of my scores, HAHA. But I was introspective. I was careful not to take too long in making a decision, especially since I was already quite satisfied with yesterday's results. Alhamdulillah, Allah is Most Merciful, I was finally accepted into my first choice of SBMPTN (National University of Indonesia). My best efforts have borne fruit, are meaningful, and I feel so happy.
Last but not least, I'm currently working on my thesis in my 7th semester (approaching my 4th year of college). God willing, I will remain committed to progressing my own thesis until I graduate on time. Aamiin. Perhaps there's one motto I've held onto throughout this journey:
"Don't count the days, but make them (the days) count."
This motto comes from Muhammad Ali (legendary boxer), one of my role models in the world of sports. Always remember, take everything positively, stay consistent, you'll surprise yourself.
I hope the story is meaningful to all of you.
Comments
Post a Comment