One More Step

It started out as just a school requirement, participating in a competition because a delegation had to. But from that small step, I discovered something big. Running isn't just about physical fitness, but about life. From a reluctant school kid to a long-running enthusiast and all-rounder on the streets, with the added bonus of being spoiled by the sports app Strava.

Kahf Brotherhood, when I joined the Sunday Morning Run

At first, it was just for fun, but over time, I became addicted.

I didn't start running because I wanted to be an athlete, let alone finish on the podium. Honestly, I only rediscovered running after being motivated by a friend who also enjoyed jogging in the morning. The deciding moment of whether I was ready to go further came in mid-2023, when I was about to register for my first official race, a 10K at the Jakarta City Run. From there, I could judge that this was a sport I could pursue until I became the best version of myself. It was that simple.

Fast forward to now, I've also participated in various events, a charity 5K once and a 21K (Half-Marathon) four times. Not all of my races have been good. Sometimes my pace is ruined, my HR is sometimes terrible, and sometimes I even hit a PB. But I've learned one thing: what's important isn't the finish time, but your intention to show up every day like you're racing.

I'm not always alone during events. There are close friends, from acquaintances from my internship to my own cousins. Clothes range from T-shirts to basic shoes. But the atmosphere when I'm with them is memorable.

Believe me, you'll always encounter a different energy. Whether you're racing alone, with friends, or racing with strangers in the middle of a run, the goal is always the same: to finish together. From there, you start to think, "Hey, that's fun, isn't it?"

It started with panting, and ended with curiosity.

Alhamdulillah, I tried to work up the courage to slowly level up, starting with 10K and working my way up to HM. The first time I tried a 10K, I thought it would be easy. It wasn't. Running a 10K is like a fine line between "I can do it" and "why haven't I finished yet?"

But it was precisely because I was out of breath that I became even more curious. Could I push myself further? Finally, I signed up for a half marathon. And boom, my first 21K was a mix of euphoria, incredible fatigue, and cramps, but also a sense of pride.

Every race I've had different times. Sometimes I've dropped due to lack of training, sometimes I've gone up because I'm in a great mood. But that's what makes running exciting; you're competing against yourself, not others.

Running communities have been one of the keys to perseverance.

I joined running communities, from strength training with the Hoka Run Club at GBK, Garmin Run Club, to Turu (a community that supported me and my friends when I was registering for HM UI 2024), and all of that was a turning point. Because honestly, running alone every week can get really boring. But when there's a group, there's always encouragement. Whether it's for training together, changing routes, or just hanging out after a long run.

That community also taught me an important thing: running is not about who is the fastest, but who is most willing to come.

Gear talk: Is Garmin and carbon shoes a gimmick?

Initially I used a regular smartwatch. In essence, there is a heart rate display, without any pace. Since then, I've been running frequently until I finally decided to upgrade my watch. Alhamdulillah, I had enough luck and finally I bought a watch specifically for outdoor use, namely the Garmin Forerunner 165. At first I thought that running watches were just for fashion. But it turns out to be really helpful for tracking progress. From pace, heart rate, to recovery time, everything makes training more focused.

And shoes? Alhamdulillah, I've always been comfortable with Nike. From the green Alphafly (semi super) purchased online, to now using Zoom Fly 6 (carbon). Yes, these shoes are not cheap. But when I tried it, wow... it was really different. Light, responsive, and really good for training and racing. But still, good shoes won't lift you up if you don't practice diligently. ๐Ÿ˜…

Strava: Flexing or tracking?

I'm active on Strava, and sometimes I also like to glance at my friends' profiles, as athletes. But the more I realized, it wasn't for flexing, but more for accountability. And even more aware, when you already care about the term HR (heart rate), then you can look at this aspect too so it's not just about pace. Imagine seeing your friends running early in the morning, so you want to join in. When you post your running results, you become motivated and ultimately consistent.

So in my opinion, Strava is not a media for showing off, but a place to encourage each other, give kudos to each other.

Running is a 'moving version' of meditation.

For me, running is where I "stay" while moving. A place where I think about many things. Sometimes random, sometimes serious. From work problems to "what do you want to eat this afternoon".

Running taught me about consistency, about patience, about accepting conditions. Sometimes the weather isn't ideal. Sometimes the body is tired. But you keep going, keep going. And that carries over to life.

You don't need to start the set remotely. 1K-2K is enough, as long as you start. You don't need to think about having expensive gear or a fast pace, the important thing is movement.

In my 20s, which is often full of question marks, running helps me find semicolons, sometimes colons, but rarely ending points. Because yes, like life, running is also a process that has no finish line.

If you're just starting to run, cheer up! InshaAllah, the best version of you is waiting for you in the kilometers ahead, one more step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manager 101: From A to Z

Inside Cisco's Cultural Intelligence

New Strength at The Arsenal